

QUARTZ HILL AYSO, REGION 638

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

OCTOBER 2022

AYSO | BOARD MEETING MINUTES | OCTOBER 20, 2022



Meeting called to order at 7:10pm by Eric Dilger

Approved minutes from September: Nelson 1st Corey 2nd all in favor

RC REPORT:

October: In week 6 leading into week 7 of games. Upper division playoffs starting, tournaments, all-stars, awards going. 2 more weeks to play

AREA:

Area Play offs for upper division going this weekend @ Phelan and Hesperia this year, Sunday. Finally got jersey numbers from all teams, will send out rosters to coaches. Leading towards play offs. Submit about same number of teams as last year, what we budget for. Will post on Slack. Usually 4:3, 3:2, 2:2 for league, for all-star its 4:3, 2:2, 1:1. 10- 14.

REGION:

Going well, no big updates, a lot of positive updates from parents
National games 10X 11X divisions reserved. Need to have a meeting with those teams and coaches for those who are going to commit and follow through with national games or if we need to add players. Divisions with 10U to 16U in the pool. We did not get an additional team in the second round. However, there are 4 rounds planned as team's commit, or fail to pay.

UPPER DIVISION PLAY:

2 more weeks to play. If anyone wants to look at the brackets they are on the area 10U website. Random draw for coaches, top 2 teams in the consensus are playing each other in the playoffs but it'll give other teams a change to win championship. It helps more QH teams then it hurts this year.

INNER REGION PLAY:

Going well, everyone being patient with changes and schedules. Some issues with 14U G. Behind sense commissioners, RA's have really stepped up to provide game cards to each other, and ¾ and keeper rules are followed. Through Lisa coaches on road to take pictures of their game cards and send it to Eric so we don't have to wait. Couple incidents where we are playing someone from another place- another region and we end up with a little bit of behavior. Parents, Girls fighting, taunting.

Questions? N/A

Fairly balanced schedule. 14U games are hard on the Refs. Last GA weekend for games. Maybe for playoffs if we choose. Week 7 kind of a friendly week in 10U so there is a lot of teams on the road. 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are all playing within our self.

Extreme Behavior:

Fight, parent behavior, Oct. 1st incident with players and past MK event. A lot of discussion with Rocky, Rich and Morgan. More coaches are displaying better sportsmanship than seen in years. Behaviors are getting uglier when they happen. Parents have no filters, don't care. Same parents, every week, it is also happening in other regions and areas. Tough on us, best we can do is be around and present- Board Members. Mike was able to get in with Refs and parents to deal with it when fight happened. Last weekend, more board members present especially with extra game going on. Hours speaking with uppers in AYSO with behavior. It's all around, and worse. Coming out of this, we have opportunity working with National risk management to help develop guidance for mass events, shooting events, evacuations, etc. What went right, what could have been better, what we recommend, what after event paperwork should look like. IE Marie Kerr incident (Shooting). Will put together a meeting and committee separate for this. Whoever wants to attend will be welcome.

Comments/Questions?

Doug: At Eric do we have a current plan in place because of this, or are we going to build one because of this incident at MK?

Eric: We do not have a plan in place for shootings, etc. We only have like weather type and earthquakes in place.

Angela: What was some of the feedback from Region- Rocky and National level

Eric: Will post the write up on Slack. First questions: AYSO involved? AYSO hurt? Write up goes through all what we did and how we handled it (timeline). We will get a group together, and National Office would like to know what we decide. Mel and Doug consult with, Mike to consult with for part of the sheriffs' and Gabe who does this with the high school district. When I was notified by the parks, did we stop games, MKE was stopped, MKN was still going. Should we have stopped that one? Put out communication the next morning (Sunday). There was much appreciate for what we did as a board, we handled it. Same questions asked, we asked. Did we have a plan? Evacuation plan for that field?

Nelson: What are we going to do with the plan? Put it on a shelf, add it to the training.

Eric: Once we get a plan together, and think what is practical the National level would like to hear what we have. We need to allow coaches, parents to know where the information is, have a communication plan set, etc.

Anything Else?

Eric: How's everything else going with behavior? Experience with parents? What is working, not working? Lisa gets the feedback on the game cards. Any advice?

Angela: Ref standpoint: We have the ability and potential to defuse situations on frontlines even before they start. Keeping it light and friendly with players, coaches, and parents. Would like to further train the Refs on this to prevent the extreme behaviors before it starts.

Eric: Board Members out and helping, walk the sidelines.

Anything Else?

Board Member Recruitment: Lots of conversations, but not a lot of follow up. People out there who are interested. Both Andrew and Tabitha Rouse and Ian and Wendy Armstrong interested in joining. Ian and Andrew want to help on coach side, Tabitha and Wendy want to help on the admin side. May join in tonight. We'll work them in and introduced. Keep pushing if people are interested. We do need help, but not all the complainers.

Nelson: Wife would like to volunteer and help with game card and be trained on it.

Eric: Josh has anyone contacted you about RC?

Josh: No, but I have a complaining parent from the 14U- Rod's game. The parent (Armando Andrade) said they emailed but haven't heard anything back. They have a truck, can pull trailer, get ice. Wife is best way to reach them.

Eric: Did talk to Armando, does need to reach out to him again. He wants a task where he can do his thing, valuable people. Will see how it goes in March. Am stepping down one way or another. Hopefully we have someone. I will help region but has put his job on autopilot for 8 years and can't do that anymore. Will help the region, but off hours and not directly. Will be here for support.

COACH WORLD:

Lisa: Talked about issues we are having already. We are right now soliciting all-star nominations from coaches. Will get the watch list out to the coaches. Will have 3 weeks of games to watch before the meetings. Put email about all star coaches. Will do those selections soon. Planning on having all-star meetings the week before week 10 of games. Date: Nov. Monday 7th, Wednesday 9th, and Monday 14th. Jon Alamillo still heading up the program. Lisa assisting with the coach side of it. We'll get all our teams covered and coaches to step up.

TOURNAMENT:

Selection of coaches, only have 3 divisions right now with coaches. 10U B and 12U G and 4U G. Try outs are this weekend. Hoping for more coaches to step up. Hoping for 10U G and 12U B going too.

Eric: Need to remember we haven't had a normal tournament rotation process since 2019. Have many coaches who have no experience or know about tournament.

Lisa: All-star team hopefully can form a tournament team possibly. Lisa is working with coaches and getting everyone excited. Making sure upper division coaches are ready for play offs this weekend and same for post season core teams.

Eric: Himself, Lisa, Nelson have been working on; out of 129 teams, still have 22 teams where coaches cannot have official rosters, cannot be activated. 12 of those coaches are in the 10U, 12U and 14U divisions. Some have fingerprinting issues, not recognized or done it. Some screening is all over the place. Some coaches are just refusing to get the fingerprinting done. Their teams will not be invited to the regional playoffs if they refuse and won't get it done. We need to put pressure on them to get it done, communicate with them. 6u and 8u coaches who are trouble coaches, teachers, police who don't feel like they have to do it again. Upper division got their last coach done last week. They were uploaded. If it is not done, you do not play.

Lisa: Do you (Eric) or Nelson have that list of coaches?

Nelson: Will send a report to Lisa. Excel file to Google Doc. Make Erick and Lisa editor so he can go through them also and add information in.

Lisa: If coaches have safe sport cert. and can't upload, they can send it to her and she can make copy or upload?

Eric: Can upload these documents. They will work it out, the system. Safe sport has to be on the ID Cards. Info for statues can be pulled from the E4.

Lisa: Dates are not matching up, AYSO and E4

Eric: Just put the date that's on the report for E4.

Lisa: I got a few things from Score that were for coach bags today (will save for next season).

Nelson: Added some filters in for the form.

Eric: At Lisa will have to go through form at later time, example assistant coaches not being assistant coaches because they don't have what they need done. To activate the teams, had to remove 7-8 assistant coaches from official status. Scott Jones is running a coach course 12U Sunday @ MK, Eric set an intermediate course on Dec. 3rd. Will send Lisa a note about asking a couple coaches if they don't mind Eric taking over 10U training sessions, or UKI and running it. Coaches or Assistant Coaches who do not have their field portions completed can complete them. Send out for 14U to sign up for the intermediate course, they can knock that out now. Great time to do it. Tournament teams, All-Star teams can be pulled for the course. Anything else?

Goal Keepers:

Eric: Did 2- 10U sessions, 23 goal keeper's 1st week, 18 2nd week. Went through a lot of basics. Little 12U group going on Fridays (5:30-7pm) again, will continue through the season about 14 in the group. Same time as UKI skills session is going on.

TREASURE:

Corey: Not ton of stuff to report. Posted some sheets up already. Still looking healthy. Money is not coming in as fast due to being past registration already, but still looking good. Reimbursement for Josh that's working through the system.

Erick: Reimbursements get to Erick or Corey this weekend. Port-a-potty bill is in, and Westside School District fields in too. Bottom of the sheet is where we look at for where we are at. LP and MK fields come in later, after the new year, some rolls into Spring. Area section plays we have registration for that. We know there are a lot of expenses coming in. The numbers are an open book for the public. Balance Sheet matched what we had in the bank, but cart and storage box are fixed assets because we could sale them. Important because we know what we have.

Corey: Nothing still about getting added on Chase Account to be able to sign checks?

Questions on Numbers? N/A

Budget for Christmas Dinners:

Judi: What is the budget? Numbers? Coaches, Assistant Coaches?

Eric: Volunteer Appreciate Dinner: space itself, catering and guest. Board plus 1. New board members are invited too, its smaller Big volunteer dinner- Head coaches and fully trained assistant coaches (Lisa), referee team (Doug will reach out to Jon), sponsors, and some community reps- ie LA County, School District, and Park and Recs. Doug B. and Angela (sponsor list), Lisa (head coaches and fully trained assistant coaches list), Doug (refs list) Eric (community partners list) and Dallas.

Judi: Will I send out emails to these people?

Eric: When Jill gets back in town, she used to do these, she can help, flyer for rsvp, date/time, etc.

Judi: Tickets for Raffles?

Eric: Ticket for Raffles, have only so many give aways.

Kajsa: Will help Judi also.

Eric: Sator Soccer we have an account; we can get an invoice. Quite a bit for Volunteer appreciation. Judi will research places for event. Stay with standard catering. As long as we don't go extravagant.

Judi: Knights of Columbus? Do we want to find something different?

Kajsa: One by college, by golf courses are nice

Mike: That place had coach roaches

Kajsa: MOAH

Eric: Surprise us!

Judi: Maybe active instead of sit down dinner, something to do rather than just sit around and eat. Dave and Busters. Will work on it.

REGISTRATION:

Kajsa: People are registered. Just need to get teams activated. Will she do jersey numbers for upper divisions? Erick will knock it out.

Eric: Sent out trophy rosters out last weekend. 10U – 14U add Jersey numbers for those moving on. No need for 6U or 8U or any team not moving on for area or regional tournament.

REFEREE WORLD:

Doug: Brought on 20 new refs from last big class. Participating now, quite a few jumped into center after couple games. Pink jerseys are really popular, still getting emails about them. Friday, Dec. 9th intermediate ref training and Sunday Dec. 11th @ Lancaster Soccer Center. Only been 1 or 2 emails from parents upset, but we dealt with it. It's been really good. We've managed to not cancel any games up to this point.

MENTORING PROGRAM:

Angela: Update: Numbers wise over 30 opportunities since week 1. Half game to full game where mentors are out there giving them pointers during games. Nice and strong with mentoring. I am getting lots of Summaries and reports on what is working and what needs improvements. Refs that do 10 games or more they get soccer family t-shirts as a thank you. Will bring t-shirts to the volunteer dinner for volunteers going out of their way to help our region.

Doug: At Eric: Ben ordered gift cards to hand out to the refs at the dinner. Small amounts. Can we do that again? If so, how is that handled?

Eric: Follow up with Jon Schoorl. 5 to 8 got a \$10, and up from there. We can by spread of a couple other color jerseys. Top 2 boys and girls did for youth Jersey in the past. Coordinate with Judi and Kajsa for ref stuff purchase.

Melanie: One year we did ref watches, gift certificates \$20 and up to Big Five, Sports Charlotte, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc. Kids got a jersey, a watch and maybe some flags.

Kajsa: Youth Refs can they get shirts or recognized too? Is this happening?

Angela: Have them come up to the tent to get stuff for Youth @ UJW.

Anything else? N/A

CVPA:

Nelson: Nothing else. Separate meeting about past event at MK.

Josh: At Nelson about an email expiring background check for AYSO.

Eric: Kicked out

Nelson/Josh/Lisa/Kajsa: About fingerprinting and Josh's email.

Nelson: Are the stripes on the fields okay? Can paint if need it.

Lisa: Getting on people about painting. GA looks good, UJW looks good

Doug: LJW 1 was all sorts of bad, goals didn't match, etc.

Kajsa: At MK Mike has been getting on parents to do another coat. JW is iffy.

Doug: LJW 2- exposed sprinkler head 2-3 inches from the ground. Will mark it with a cone.

Mike: At Doug: If you can the shed does have some shovels in there, go to upper JW and get some of that loose dirt and pack it in. Mike will let Will at District know tomorrow if they can come.

Doug: Closer to UJW, close to the goal, stair case.

Mike: They will take care of the frog ponds LJW3.

FACILITIES:

Mike: Nothing on Facilities. 5-star Port a potties hold off on Sundays until after play offs for the twice clean up. Haven't heard any issues about the bathrooms. Good for now.

Lisa: Do you know about Keys for Sunday for tryouts? I guess Gabe will have keys.

Mike: I will be out of town, are you worried about Potty? The sheds?

Kajsa: We're in upper Kern and Eric too.

Judi: I will be there to help Gabe too.

Eric: Return

SCHOOL YARD:

Eric: Going well. Started off with 24 in a pod, now UKI is saying 12 to 16. No one has requested to cancel. They just don't show up.

EXTRA:

Eric: Rolling along. Games that were canceled will be rescheduled due to MK incident. Notified the coaches already. Another 1:15pm game next weekend.

FACILITIES & FIELDS:

Mike: Updated Eric on what he went over when he was kicked out. Paint looking good still. Some issues with gopher holes on LJW 2, Doug to put dirt down. Sprinkler head sticking up. Some ponds building in LJW. Put email in to WSD.

Eric: Put in his request to modify the zone duration because its foggy and foggy. Need to cut back on times. SD did all that work, when solar came the school had no water for 2 weeks so the work on the grass was kind of a waste. JW lights are back and fixed.

SAFETY:

Eric: Will do another meeting for this about MK incident.

Eric: LA County push for sports. Lacrosse and Flag football is going to start at the parks. We've moved our teams. LP1 to 3rd base line Tuesdays and Thursdays are for flag football now. Will be starting games at 3:30pm for football. Last games at 2:00pm for AYSO. Remember to do quick sweep of fields, grab tent. We are sharing if parents ask. We want to keep the positive environment.

Kajsa: Lacrosse is a hot mess per Niece.

SPONSORSHIP:

Angela: Waiting on the t-shirts still for all. One sponsor was not happy, but she explained the delay on everything. Is there anything we can do to make it right?

Eric: Still in world of covid delays, they will get mentioned at the dinner. Some times its human error.

Eric: At Mike any update on the feathers for the Fields?

Mike: Will work on list for getting it done and ready for next season. Parents should know their way around the fields by now in week 7.

Eric: Push that expense off for next season.

FOOD TRUCK:

Robert: Trucks going good. One of the trucks got changed up this last weekend. No snack tent this weekend due to being at MK. Started selling sweatshirts and t-shirts last weekend.

AWARDS:

Eric: What do we want to do with trophies and metals?

Mike: Jamb.-10U, VIP Trophies and 12U metals

Eric: What do you want, something different?

Mel: Nothing special what we normally do

Eric: Out of the 3, everyone likes the ball. Anyone hate it? Going with the Ball Trophy. Rosters should be in tomorrow. Has all the numbers adjusted. Doug B is doing trophies. Give out to coaches so they can hand out at team parties by the 12th, the final weekend. Give ourselves a break from ceremonies.

OPEN FLOOR:

Eric: Jill, Jon, Lisa and Gabe: Will talk about uniforms for All-Stars

Purchases: Off back order, 2 4x6 bow nets showed up. Want to clear a shelf on South side for these. Have not made ball purchases because we can save some money and we don't really need it. We've been fine with coaches, and kids bringing theirs to the trainings. No 4 and 5 balls.

Eric: At Mike any outstanding purchase orders?

Mike: No

Judy: Can I ask people to donate baskets for raffles for the Dinners? Like Raffle baskets. If business wants to donate anything, like free advertising.

Mel: Ref gets 1 ticket, Coach gets 1 ticket, if coach refs then they get 2 tickets. No money involved in it.

Doug: What are the dates?

Judi: Dates: Dec. 1st Big Volunteers, Board Dinner: Dec 8th

Angela: Next board meeting?

Eric: Normal schedule 2nd Thursday- Nov. 10th- final week of games. Have a rough number of teams that will play. As we go into week 10, we will have all the different scenarios. 14U boys a quarter final game. If all 5 teams make it, they will have quarter final game.

Lisa: I've been getting a lot of questions from coaches, how many teams are going to make it etc.

Eric: We will publish it online. 10U is perfect pools of 4, 12U is hot mess 11B, 9G pools are all over, 14U as long as they get ref points, they'll all make it. Will spend some time and publish it out. Will also send Lisa a copy.

Eric: Dallas asked Eric to bring this up at the meeting: Church @ 30th and L-8 built a little field with lights, asked if we could use it. But it's too close to 30th and L-8 and traffic is heavy and not really a field we can use, liability and safety. It is too small of a field for us. Asking for a donation to get some turf on it. They are looking at 10 grand bill for turf and are looking to see if QH Board can contribute to it. They

are asking for a lot. Go look at the site and check it out. Venue we can use- maybe registration banners, meeting rooms available.

Any Opinions/questions:

Josh: Is he looking for all 10 thousand? Part of it? 43298 30th St. W.

Eric: Lights and irrigation was put in. It's small and too close to intersection. Can't use it for soccer practice or games. But can use it to put up banners for AYSO. Church itself has good meeting space to use.

Doug: On Josh point, is Dallas looking for the whole dollar amount, some money, whole, part, etc.?

Eric: Dallas is a business man; he'll ask for the whole amount. 10 thousand is not an appropriate use of money. Want to invest the parents' money over the years properly. 2,000 is more than I would like to do.

Josh: Location for Board: Are there any rules with AYSO if we can meet at a church?

Eric: No rules. Would rather contribute a small amount to the church on 50th for using their parking lot. A couple hundred dollars. Allowed to do donations as long as it is not discriminatory religious or not.

Josh: Do we pay the facilities when we use them for meetings? AVC, Library, etc. for Classes

Eric: Yes, at AVC, but JW we can use the facilities for free depending on nights/time and the custodial staff. If the staff is on site, then we can use it free. Not been charged for MK, Palmdale soccer field, yes. Mayflower Gardens is free and library.

Josh: food for thought

Doug: Are we just in a discussion on this or is there a time frame?

Eric: Business part would want to move forward, but we have all the time we need. We want to give the board time to think about it and vote on it. We need to do what is right for the region.

Josh: \$2500 sounds good to me, they've been to us.

Mike: By laws: how can we get funds to set up for Tournament Teams that can't afford it. Apprehensive about it because they don't do anything for us, Dallas yes but not the church on 30th. Want more information from Nationals. Donating to a public entity would open up issues to why did you do here and not here.

Eric: Will put it out there and post a reply. Don't want to push for a vote. Will gather more information and reach out to Nationals. 50th church donation was a yes because they help our families with parking.

Corey: Feels the same as Mike, does not want to donate. Rather support the one on 50th because we use their parking lot.

Eric: Will vote on it next meeting, in support of what we say. Understanding how we all feel about the 30th Church.

Angela: We're pretty spread out with fields in GA, MK and JW/LP.

Eric: Nothing we can really use for soccer. Will put it on the agenda for next month.

Angela: Are we looking good for open/closing/set up for Saturday?

Eric: It's been working.

Kajsa: Next weekend- weekend of Halloween we are gone.

Eric: Looking okay this weekend. Will be next weekend when we will be in more of pinch. May have to have people move around next weekend. Corey/Lisa will be out. Coverage is good. If you can't do it one week, just post it on slack so we know. May have some gaps at MK next week.

Anything Else?

Doug: Motion to end meeting at 9:38 Corey 2nd, Kajsa 2nd

ATTENDANCE:

Eric Dilger	Kelli Chavez Alcorta	Corey Kimura	Lisa Kimura
Melanie Aguilar	Nelson Brown	Robert Contreras	Doug Emert
Angela Meyers	Mike Courtial	Kajsa Courtial	Josh Barbosa
Judi Frazer			